There are many different types of roofing materials available, including:
- Asphalt shingles: This is the most common residential roofing material used in the U.S. They are popular because they’re economical and easy to install. However, asphalt shingles have a shorter lifespan than some other materials.
- Clay and concrete tiles: These tiles add texture and elegance to your roof. They’re extremely durable and energy efficient. However, they’re expensive, and can require additional framing. Pay attention to your budget if you decide on this type of shingle!
- Metal roofing: These roofing materials are durable and resistant to extreme weather conditions. You can purchase metal roofing in panels or individual shingles.
- Slate: Offers beauty and elegance for your roof. You can get slate shingles in many colors, and while it can be expensive, it is very durable, fire-resistant, and recyclable!
- Wood shingles: This is a popular look for many homeowners, because even when they start to get older and weathered, they still look classy. Be sure to check your local fire codes before purchasing this material!
- Synthetic roofing products: Rubber, plastic, and polymer roofing give you more choices when it comes to colors, look, and texture. Synthetic products can mimic the look of other natural materials.